Fish curry details and pics by Surjmani Laishram
This fish curry is basically one of the simplest form of cooking fish in Manipur. It contains basic herbs & vegetables found in the kitchen gardens of any Manipuri household. You can get it in various vegetables markets in the cities. But, it is a little difficult to find Chinese Garlic Chives (maroi nakuppi) in many areas. You have to aim for branded grocery/vegetable stores. This dish is served with rice in households, community gathering, festivals, restaurants etc.
Anyway, the main ingredient is as follows: Rohu fish (500 g) – fillet Green Peas (1/2 cup) Potato cubes (1/3 cup) – optional Asafoetida (1 tsp) Bay leaf (1-2 leaves) Mustard seeds (1 tsp) Mustard oil (3 Tbs) for cooking Mustard oil (1 cup) for deep frying Water (1.5 cup) Vertical Sliced Green chillies (1/4 cup) Sliced Onion (1/2 Cup) Maroi Nakuppi (Chinese Garlic Chives) for garnishing Chopped Garlic Cloves (2 Tbs) Salt to taste Coriander for garnishing.
- Clean the fish, drain the water out.
- Heat oil for deep frying in a pan.
- Deep fry the fillets.
- Drain the oil.
- Heat oil for cooking in bigger pan.
- Add asafoetida, bay leaf and mustard seeds (30 secs).
- Add onion (till the colour turns light).
- Add garlic (till the colour turns brown).
- Add green chillies (stir till all the chillies are properly covered in oil).
- Add green peas & potato (stir for sometime till they are fully covered in oil).