December to February is the best time for picnic in Assam. During this time all the picnic spots and Places in Assam witness a lot of tourists from the state as well as outside the state. Here we have collected some of the best and less crowded picnic or camping spots in Assam to enjoy a day outing.
Before we provide you with details of the places we would like to request a few things to remember when you go for a picnic in the wild. Nature has given us a lot of things and we should respect nature too.
1. Try to avoid the use of plastic and other plastic disposals. Carry your own utensils, water bottles and plates to eat and cook food.
2. Clean the place and dispose of the garbage before leaving the picnic spot.
3. Most of the places are home to wildlife, birds and animals. Please don't disturb them with loud music.
4. Respect the local communities or tribes living in that area. You may also buy staff from them as they do not have other sources of Income. You may pay a little extra but it will directly help a section of poor people.
Picnic Places in Lower Assam
Lower Assam is blessed with a lot of natural resources and wildlife and beautiful landscapes. There are many tourists across the country as well as outside of it who visit those places. Here we collected places which are good for picnic and one-day outing with your friends and family. We have mentioned here around 20 Places in lower Assam suitable for Picnic. If you know some places which can be developed as a picnic spot please comment below.
1. Bogamati - Bogamati is the most common picnic place, especially for people residing in Kamrup, Barpeta, Nalbari, Baksa and Darrang districts. Covered with dense forest Bogamati is located on the mouth of Barnadi River in the Baksa district of Assam. Distance from Guwahati is 92KM to Bogamati.
2. Manas National Park - This national park is spread over Chirang and Baksa district of Assam. Part of it is in Bhutan and is known as Royal Manas national park. It is a UNESCO Natural World Heritage site, a Project Tiger reserve, an elephant reserve and a biosphere reserve. Many endangered species including Assam roofed turtle, hispid hare, golden langur and pygmy hog to be seen in this national park. For Picnic, There is a different area outside the National Park on the bank of Manas River. Distance from Guwahati is 138KM.
3. Chandubi Lake - This beautiful lake is just 64 KM from Guwahati and is located in kamrup district. Known for its natural beauty, you should never miss the sunset when traveling to Chandubi lake. It is one of the major picnic spots for the people of Guwahati. There is boating and camping available near the lake.
4. Dipor Bil - located just southwest of Guwahati city is another attraction and a one-day outdoor picnic location in lower Assam. Bil which means the lake in Assamese is a permanent freshwater lake. This lake is known for 219 verities of birds including 70 migratory birds.
5. Surya Pahar - Located 12 KM from Goalpara town Sri Surya Pahar is an archaeological site. This hilly terrain has several rock-cut Shivalingas, stupas and the deities of Hindu, Buddhist and Jain. There is an open space nearby for a picnic.
6. Hohua - Another beautiful picnic spot along Assam Meghalaya border near dhupdhara in Goalpara district of Assam. You can enjoy the scenic beauty of hohuwa river and enjoy your picnic on the river bank. This place is at 92 KM distance from Guwahati.
7. Hahim - Hahim is one of the most visited and loved picnic spots in Assam. Every year hundreds of picnickers visit this place, mostly in the winter season, during Bihu, New Year, and Christmas. It is located in Boko, Assam, which is 64 kilometers from Guwahati. You would surely want to pick Hahim as your next picnic destination this winter.
8. Ukiam - Ukiam is a picturesque picnic location located in the Assam-Meghalaya border, near Chaygaon. It falls under the Garo Autonomous Council and is surrounded by the majestic Garo Hills. There’s only one catch; you may not get network connectivity around Ukiam, but that should not be an issue. Also spectacular is the drive from Guwahati to Ukiam which takes around 2 hours, amidst scenic landscapes.
9. Ranikhamar - Ranikhamar is a beautiful location that serves as the perfect retreat for friends and family alike. It is located just 70 km from Dispur and provides picnickers with some of the best views and also caters to activities like boating. There is also a waterfall nearby which adds to the beauty of the place. The location is a little remote and therefore, has no network coverage.
10. Tapoban - Another hidden gem of a place is the Tapoban Picnic spot in Chandrapur, which has some great scenic views and is a place where you can enjoy food and leisure activities whilst gazing at the beautiful sunset. It is the best escape from your busy schedule. You can also book tents through pre-booking facilities.
11. Hatisila - Hatisila is one of the most loved picnic spots in Assam. Hundreds of picnickers are seen visiting this scenic place during winters. Located just a few kilometers from Guwahati, this place is famous for the Ganesh Temple which is a natural rock shape resembling the front portion snout of an elephant.
12. Tapatoli - The Tapatoli picnic spot is located in the Assam Meghalaya border on the bank of the river Kiling. It is a small village by the national highway about 9 km from Jagiroad. It is a beautiful natural retreat if you want to spend some quality time with your friends and family. The road itself is too beautiful to resist.
13. Nazirakhat - Nazirakhat is a rich archeological site that has emerged as a famous picnic spot in Sonapur. Located about 15 km from Guwahati, it has some of the best views to offer along with some major pieces of information about the place. Every year, hundreds of picnickers visit the place to witness the grandeur of the site.
14. Tagheria - Tagheria is a famous picnic spot in Assam which is located about 38 km from the headquarters of Sonapur. It is famous for its beautiful waterfall and every year picnickers crowd this place to enjoy the fresh waters and beautiful natural landscapes.
15. Bhutan Chowki - It is one of the most sought-after picnic spots in Assam. It is located in Mnas Natural Park in Barpeta. It is a beautiful landscape that can be a picnickers’ paradise. There is a minimum entry fee for every picnic party and you can enjoy the best of views with your friends and family.
16. Bhairabkunda - It is a scenic picnic location located in the Udalguri District of Assam encapsulating the border of Bhutan and Arunachal Pradesh. The nearest Bhutanese town is Daifam. Bhairabkunda is a sight to behold as the Jampani River, originating from Bhutan, meets the Bhiarabi River. It takes around 3 hours from Guwahati and around 25 minutes from Udalguri to reach Bhairabkunda.
17. Jamduar – Jamduar is a picturesque location set in the Kokrajhar district of Assam. It serves a magnificent view of the river Sankosh. It has a reserve forest which is a tri-junction between Assam, Bhutan, and West Bengal. If you wish to plan your next picnic there, be sure to be responsible as to follow all guidelines and not disturb the animals residing in the forest.
18. Saralpara - Saralpara is a picnic hotspot during the winter season. It is located in the district of Kokrajhar, Assam, and is about 65 km from the Kokrajhar town. It is a perfect place to enjoy the scenic beauty of waterfalls, rivulet, mountains, and more. It is located on the Indo-Bhutan border so there is an Indo-Bhutan market from where you can buy many beautiful local products.
19. Orang National Park - It is the oldest game reserve in Assam and is located on the northern bank of the majestic Brahmaputra River in Darrang. Apart from being a National Park, it is a fantastic spot for picnic lovers as well. It takes around 2 hours from Tezpur and around 3 hours from Guwahati to reach. Among the popular picnic spots in Assam, Orang surely is an underrated location where you can plan your next picnic.
20. Deeplai Bill - Deeplai Bill is another beautiful picnic spot in the Kokrajhar district. It is situated by the lake and people can come and enjoy their leisure hours basking in the winter sun. It is a perfect delight for friends and family. It is one of the offbeat picnic spots in lower Assam.
Picnic Spots in Middle Assam
1. Nameri National Park - Nameri National Park is one of the famous picnic spots in Assam. Hundreds of people visit and revisit this place to enjoy the natural retreat with friends and family. It is located in the Sonitpur district is just about 40 km from Tezpur. Whilst enjoying the national park, the picnickers also get to witness the scenic beauty of the Jia Bharali river which bifurcates the park. Various resorts also provide facilities to enjoy river rafting in the beautiful waters.
2. Kakochang Waterfall - It has emerged as one of the most famous picnic spots in Assam. Many people visit this place almost every season of the year. It is a perfect getaway to enjoy a picnic with friends and family. It is situated in Bokakhat in Assam. You also get the experience of a 1 km trek when you try reaching this place. Don’t forget to take your essentials if you want to take a dip into the fresh sparkling waters of the magnificent waterfall.
3. Akashiganga - Akashiganga is yet another beautiful waterfall located around 50 km from Nagaon. The place is famous for its lush green landscape and high mountains. It is situated close to the Doboka town, and so when you visit this place, apart from enjoying the magnificent waterfall you will also get to learn the historical significance of the Doboka kingdom. You can enjoy a great picnic while also enjoying the grand view of the river Brahmaputra.
4. Champawati Kunda - It is located in the Nagaon district of Assam and is about 16km to the east of Nagaon. It is a beautiful waterfall which is also famously known as the Chapnalla falls. During winters, hundreds of tourists visit this place to enjoy the picturesque location. Apart from that, picnickers can also enjoy the beautiful Laokhowa Wildlife Sanctuary and the Samaguri Beel which are located very near to Champawati Kunda.
5. Shivakunda - Located in the Amsoi Hills in the Morigaon district of Assam, the beautiful Shivakunda waterfall is a favorite place for picnickers all around Assam. Around the place, you have other places near it which can be a perfect getaway for you and your friends and family. Campfire is strictly prohibited there because it is a forest area and so you are advised to carry prepared food and water.
6. Bhalukpong - Just 60 kilometers from the historic town of Tezpur, located in the foothills of Arunachal, Bhalukpong is a picnic lover’s paradise. It is the gateway to Arunachal Pradesh and during the picnic, the season becomes witness to several picnickers. The spectacular Jia Bharali river encompasses this picnic spot, adding to its beauty.
7. Panimur Waterfalls - Panimur is located in Dima Hasao District and is unlike any other waterfall in Assam. This place is beyond beauty that will keep you mesmerized throughout your time there. It not only attracts the people in Assam but also tourists from all over India. The panoramic view of the mountains adds to the beauty of Panimur and keeps the picnic lovers enthralled. It takes around 5-6 hours from Guwahati.
8. Bhairabkunda - Bhairabkunda is a much sought-after picnic spot in the Udalguri district of Assam. It is located about 20 km from the headquarters of the Udalguri town. It is a tri-junction between Assam, Bhutan, and Arunachal Pradesh and is located near the Bhutanese town of Daifam. Picnickers can enjoy a beautiful serene getaway whilst enjoying the crystal clear view of the river Dhansiri.
Picnic Spots in Upper Assam
1. Bogibeel - Bogibeel is situated near Dibrugarh, on the banks of the river Brahmaputra and is one of the most visited picnic spots in Upper Assam. Here, the famous Bogibeel Bridge over the Brahmaputra which is around 5 kilometers long is located. People flock from several destinations such as Dhemaji, Silapathar, Tinsukia, and Dibrugarh among others, and enjoy a gala time in Bogibeel.
2. Chairaideo – Charaideo is a place of historical significance that attracts hundreds of picnickers every year to it. It was the capital of the Ahom dynasty which is located about 28 km from the Sivasagar. Apart from having a fun time with friends and family, picnickers also get to learn the grand history of the Ahom dynasty and witness its magnificence while visiting Charaideo.
3. Dilli Ghat – Dilli Ghat is a beautiful place located about 80 km from the Dibrugarh district in Assam. It is in Namrup and several picnickers crowd this place during the winters to enjoy the natural untainted view of the beautiful jungle. It is an offbeat place that gives you a thrilling adventure experience if you wish to visit with friends and family. You can enjoy the calm rippling sound of the river while enjoying your meal.
4. Mou Chapori – It is a famous picnic spot for people who wish to enjoy their leisure by the banks of the river Brahmaputra. The place offers you the option of taking boat rides at a reasonable price so you get to experience the grandeur of the beautiful river. It is just 13 km from Jorhat and you can plan your next picnic destination immediately to have a wonderful time with your friends and family.
5. Borhill Picnic Spot - It is a beautiful spot for picnickers all around Assam. It is located in the Sivasagar district of Assam and is a picnickers’ paradise with its beautiful scenic view of the mountains and the rippling sound of the river. It is mostly famous for the footstep of the Ahom King Gadadhar Singha.
6. Jeypore Rainforest - The Jeypore Rainforest is located in the Dibrugarh district of Assam. It is home to many beautiful exotic species of fauna and flora. Picnickers crowd the place every year to enjoy the scenic view of the greenery around them. You can plan a perfect getaway with your family and friends to this picnic spot this winter.
If you are planning to have a wonderful picnic experience with friends and family this winter, you can visit these offbeat picnic spots in Assam. Waterfalls, hills, rivers, treks and more shall greet you when you plan to explore these places. You can have the best time of your lives there, but we only urge you to be responsible people not littering the places around these untouched beauties.